It’s time to hire
Eventually you will reach the stage where it is time to hire. It could be someone who can take over the technical development, or maybe you need to hire a marketing and sales wizard.
Whatever the task, when it’s time to hire it can be pretty daunting. Here are some of my top points to consider when looking for qualities in your first employee:
Key characteristics to look for:
- Future potential – it’s easy to judge someone based upon their past performance. After all, it’s the best indicator of success. However, what you should be focusing on is future potential. It’s easy to get wrapped up in the here and now. You need to be thinking about what this person will be doing in your business in 12-18 months. Make sure that they have the ability to step up when the time is right.
- Flexibility – in any startup, you need people who are happy to roll up their sleeves and to bend and shape with the business. It’s good to ask questions such as “what frustrated you most in your last position”. Look for indicators that someone needs structure and support as these are qualities that perhaps won’t lend themselves well to the early environment.
- Creativity – any startup business is constantly evolving, You need people who have ideas and thoughts to share with you as opposed to needing to be told what to do. If someone left their last company because they didn’t feel that their ideas were being listened to….snap them up!
- Collaboration – you need strong team members as a startup can be fraught with so many challenges and unknowns. You need people who are willing to be open about their feelings and are willing to listen to the opinions of others
- Passion – this can come in so many forms. People won’t necessarily be passionate about your product straight away until they join. Look for evidence of things that they have done at work or in their personal life that really makes them light up
Your first hire is super important. Remember, there is no rush. Take your time and don’t compromise. There will be someone out there who is ready to join you on your journey and you will know when it feels right.