Employer branding is the process of creating and promoting an organisation’s reputation and image as an employer. It is the company’s “employment brand” and encompasses everything from the company’s mission and values, to its work culture and employee benefits.
Why is Employer Branding so important for Tech Start-ups?
- High demand for top tech talent: the tech industry is highly competitive and in constant need of top talent. An effective employer branding strategy can help a company stand out from competitors and attract the best candidates.
- Rapid pace of innovation: The tech industry is characterised by rapid change and innovation, which means that companies need to attract employees who are adaptable and willing to learn new skills. A strong employer brand can help communicate the company’s commitment to employee development and learning.
- Employee retention: In the tech industry, high turnover rates are common. A strong employer brand can help improve employee engagement and retention by creating a positive work environment and offering competitive compensation and benefits packages.
- Reputation: The tech industry is known for its innovation and disruption, but it’s also known for being a demanding and sometimes challenging work environment. A strong employer brand can help improve the company’s reputation as a great place to work, which can attract not only top talent but also customers and investors.
- Diversity and inclusion: The tech industry has been criticized for its lack of diversity and inclusion. An effective employer branding strategy can help communicate the company’s commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. This will attract candidates from diverse backgrounds and improve the company’s overall culture.
How can Tech Start-ups improve their Employer Branding?
- Developing a clear and compelling employee value proposition (EVP) that communicates why the company is a great place to work
- Showcasing the company’s culture, values, and mission through social media, employee testimonials, and other channels
- Providing competitive compensation and benefits packages that meet the needs and expectations of employees
- Investing in employee development and training programs to help employees grow and advance their careers
- Creating a positive candidate experience during the recruitment process to improve the company’s reputation and attract top talent
- Further reading: The CIPD have a great factsheet about Employer Branding and a more in-depth overview about what employers can do to develop an employer brand. Find this here.
A strong employer brand is essential for companies in any industry. Particularly for tech start-ups where competition for talent is fierce and innovation and disruption are the norm.
Tech companies have to think out of the box to remain a head of the game in regards to employer branding campaigns. Four companies that have a compelling branding strategy (according to relevant.software) are Google, Salesforce, Cisco and Slack. Find out more here.
We hope you have found this blog post useful. If you feel we have left anything out, please do comment below!
Or if you are looking to grow your tech team, we are here to help! Contact us here.
We look forward to hearing from you.